Northwest Orthopaedic Specialists, PS is seeking a full-time Physician Assistant to join our Express Clinic in Spokane Valley. The ideal candidate will be passionate about practice-building and creating convenient access to care. This position will be responsible for evaluation and management of patients under the supervision of NWOS physicians in the express clinic setting, functioning as an extension of physicians. No regular on-call or surgery assists are required as part of this outpatient position.
• Work with designated supervising physician(s), but may be called upon to assist other partners in the Corporation at any time
• Obtain physical examination, followed by appropriate extremity examination
• Apply casts, splints, bracing devices and dressings; perform suturing minor lacerations, injections and cast removal
• Order and interpret laboratory studies, X-rays, and other diagnostic testing as necessary
• Identify normal and abnormal findings on histories, physical examinations, and commonly performed studies
• Work to ensure patient receives a follow up appointment when necessary with a surgeon in a timely fashion (usually 72 hours or per written protocol for injury)
• Present and communicate information obtained in an organized manner so the physician can expeditiously evaluate, examine and outline a medical management plan
• Perform pre-operative history and physical examination and appropriate patient education as instructed by supervising physician(s)
• Assist in the follow-up of postoperative patients including obtaining a current status report from the patient followed by an examination and follow-up information as directed by physician(s)
• Administer prescribed medications as directed; observes, records and reports patient's condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physician
• In collaboration with physician(s), develop written follow up treatment protocols for patients who need additional care by an orthopedic surgeon, non-operative orthopedic sports medicine, physical therapy, or surgery
• Assess patients for development and updating of treatment plans; implements treatment plans that have been reviewed and approved by the supervising physician
• Prescribe drugs; schedule II, III, IV and V controlled substances to the extent permitted by PA state law; keeps patient pharmacy history current along with drug allergies
• Provide phone contact as required in certain cases to assist in patient follow-up and problem solving
• Perform appropriate, accurate and timely dictation of patient progress notes in accordance with Corporation’s dictation policy
• Charge reporting compliant with required correct coding national standards and documentation rules
• Complete forms and paperwork such as disability, insurance, return to work, etc.
• Actively participates in business development activities to grow patient volume
• Participate in professional development activities, maintains professional affiliations, and attends all regular meetings
• Maintain strict patient confidentiality
• Attend annual CPR, OSHA, HIPAA and Risk Management training programs
• May provide occasional coverage in outpatient clinic, surgical case, on-call or rounding.
• Perform all other tasks and projects assigned by the physicians
Required Skills and Experience
• Multi-task oriented individual who has the ability to organize and prioritize tasks. Ability to follow through on own initiative and produce results.
• Ability to establish exceptional relationships with patients and has high patient satisfaction feedback.
• Ability to handle highly confidential information with integrity and discretion.
• Ability to analyze situations, identify problems, implement solutions, and evaluate outcomes.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
• Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
Northwest Orthopaedic Specialists offers competitive compensation, great health benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, continuing education and many other supplemental benefits.