Russell S. VanderWilde, M.D.
Dr. VanderWilde is a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in all aspects of orthopaedic surgery, with special emphasis in sports injuries and arthroscopic procedures. He cares for all sports injuries, including knee, shoulder, hip, and elbow injuries. Dr. VanderWilde has practiced with Northwest Orthopaedic Specialists since 1993.
After graduating from Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, Dr. VanderWilde went on to receive his medical degree from the University of Washington Medicine in Seattle, Washington. Following medical school, he enrolled at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, where he completed an orthopaedic internship and orthopaedic surgery residency. After his residency program, Dr. VanderWilde underwent a sports medicine and arthroscopy fellowship at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles, California.
Dr. VanderWilde is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is a member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America and College of Sports Medicine.
When he is not seeing patients for elbow, hip, joint, knee, shoulder, sports medicine, or trauma-related injuries, Dr. VanderWilde enjoys waterskiing, hiking, telemark skiing, biking, running, and attending his children's sporting events.
Dr. VanderWilde has served as a team doctor for Gonzaga University since 1994.
UndergraduateWashington State University, Pullman, WA, 1983
- WSU: 1 of 5 outstanding senior graduates class of 1983; Honors program directors award
University of Washington Medicine, Seattle, WA, 1987
- UW School of Medicine: Junior AOA; Medical Thesis Honors
Orthopaedics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 1988
Orthopaedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 1987–1992
- Mayo Clinic Residency: Merle Janes Award for graduating senior resident
Sports Medicine, Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, Los Angeles, CA, 1992–1993
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1995
- Arthroscopic Association of North America, 1993
- Fellow American Medical Society of Sports Medicine, 2001
- Team Physician, Gonzaga University, 1994–Present
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American College of Sports Medicine
- NCAA Team Physicians Association
- Spokane County Medical Society
- Washington State Medical Association
Hospital & Surgery Center Affiliations
- MultiCare Deaconess Hospital
- MultiCare Valley Hospital
- Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center
- The Orthopaedic Surgery Center
- Hip Arthroscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Complex Knee Reconstruction
- Sports Orthopaedics, Fellowship-Trained
- Joint Replacement
- General Orthopaedics
- R.S. VanderWilde, F.W. Jobe, "Chronic Shoulder Problems in Athletes, Chapter 13 Orthopaedic Knowledge Update" published by American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 1994.
- S. Allen, R.S. VanderWilde, "Shoulder Instability" in press 2011
- R.W.B. Wyatt, R.S. VanderWilde, A.U. Daniels, H.K. Dunn (1987). "Accuracy of Radiographic versus Cast Measurement of Canine Proximal Femoral Canal Dimensions." Clinical Materials, 2: 231-235
- R.W.B. Wyatt, E. Pino, R.S. VanderWilde (1987). "Computer Graphics Applications to Total Joint Design, Planning and Follow-up." Orthopaedic Transactions, 9(3): 556
- R.S. VanderWilde, L.T. Staheli, D. Chew, V. Malagon (1988). "Measurements on Radiographs of the Foot in Normal Infants and Children." Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 70A: 407-415
- R.S. VanderWilde (1989). "Bosworth's Fracture: Fracture Eponym of the Month." Surg Rounds for Orthopaedics, 3(9): 64
- R.S. VanderWilde, L. Wold, R. McLeod, F.H. Sim (1990). "Eosinophilic Granuloma: Mayo Clinic Tumor Rounds." Orthopaedics, 13(11): 1301-1303
- R.S. VanderWilde, H.A. Peterson (1992). "MRI and the Evaluation of the Meniscal Cyst." Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics
- R.S. VanderWilde, M.B. Wood (1992). "Hand Replantation after a 54 Hour Ischemia Time: A Case Report." JHS, 17A(2): 217-220
- R.S. VanderWilde, D.G. Lewallen, P.T. Papagelopoulos (1992). "Tips of the Trade: Broken Distal Inter-Locking Screw Removal." Orthopaedic Review
- R.S. VanderWilde, D.J. Pritchard (1992). "Adamantinoma of the Tibia-Mayo Clinic Tumor Rounds." Orthopaedics, 15(8): 950-53
- B.J. McGrory, R.S. VanderWilde, B.L. Currier, F.J. Eismont (1992). "Diagnosis of Subtle Thoracolumbar Burst Fractures: A New Radiographic Sign." Minnesota Orthopaedic Society
- R.S. VanderWilde, M.B. Wood (1992). "Pollicization of a Damaged Digit: A Follow-up Study of Six Cases." Minnesota Orthopaedic Society
- R.S. VanderWilde, D.C. Campbell (1993). "Amputation for the Treatment of the Chronically Painful Deformed Second Toe." AAOS Foot and Ankle Society
- R.S. VanderWilde, J.E. Tibone, N.E. ElAttrache (1993). "Allograft Reconstruction of the LCL." AAOS Instructional Video, AAOS, San Francisco
- R.S. VanderWilde, R.A. Gambardella (1993). "On-Slope Emergencies: What Every Physician-Skier Should Know." The Physician and Sports Medicine, 21(3): 35-53
- R.S. VanderWilde, B.F. Morrey, M.W. Melberg, T.N. Vinh (1994). "Inflammatory Arthritis after Failure of Silicone Rubber Replacement of the Radial Head." Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 76(1): 78-81
- J.M. Sttefko, F.W. Jobe, R.S. VanderWilde, E. Carden and M. Pink (1997). "Electromyographic and Nerve Block Analysis of the Subscapularis Lift-Off Test." JSES, 6(4): 347-55
“Dr. VanderWilde is the best of the best and so is his staff. He is the essence of what a doctor should be and I feel fortunate and blessed to have him as my surgeon.” — Elizabeth G.
“Dr. VanderWilde is an incredible surgeon. He is gentle, attentive, kind, patient, and an excellent surgeon. I have experienced detailed explanations of what was going on and how the repair would be made. He is engaged when talking to you and no question is silly. It is a pleasure to see him since he is genuinely personal and easy to talk to. He is assuring on surgery day and has even spent time with me on the phone answering questions. I give him a full recommendation and have sent many friends his way!” — Nancy F.
“I could not be more pleased with my experience. My surgery was as close to a pleasure as something of that nature can be. Dr. Vanderwilde and all the staff were friendly and extremely competent. My recovery has been phenomenal. I would be pleased to vouch for all aspects of my treatment at Northwest Orthopaedic Specialists.” — Ron P.
“I found Dr. VanderWilde to be very personable, caring and honest about the after effects of my surgery. He encouraged me through the physical therapy that was difficult, I was discouraged at times but he assured me I was doing great and it would turn out well in the end!” — Carole W.
“I had shoulder surgery in June 2011 with Dr. VanderWilde. I went through surgery wonderfully! My recovery went smoothly, and today I have full range of motion and NO pain. As a nurse, I often tell my friends, family, and patients the full experience I received with Dr. VanderWilde and his entire staff at Northwest Orthopaedic Specialists. From his kind, loving bedside manner, to the wonderful nurses in your surgery center. Thank you so very much.” — Kelly B.